Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Calling myself out

I really need to develop more self discipline. I'm writing about it to bring it out in the open, so that I can face something that needs to be faced, and hopefully find it within myself (with God's grace) to change.

I spend way too much time on my computer - in the afternoons in particular. Evenings after the kids are in bed are one thing. I have to work, so I do pop around online, reading this or that to take a quick mental break from whatever I'm working on. And jumping on the computer for 15 minutes to decompress and check Facebook and email after I put my daughter down for a nap is fine.

What I'm finding, however, is that I'm spending a heck of a lot more time than that. It's just so darn tempting. I start reading blogs, or people's Facebook posts, or search for something I was thinking of earlier and the next thing you know, an hour and a half has gone by. My boys have watched some cartoons and are plugging for my attention and I brush them off with a, "Sure, I'll be there in a minute..."

I complain a lot about how I feel like I don't have enough time for things. The truth is, I have more time than I give myself credit for - I just don't use it very well.

There are a lot of things I want to build into our routine, but after lunch I find myself craving a break. And a break is good - I can recharge my batteries and get myself energized for the afternoon. The problem comes in when my break lasts so long, the afternoon is practically gone before I peel myself out of this chair and go about my business.

I could be reading aloud to the boys more. Sure, Grayson tends to not want to listen to a story if it doesn't have pictures, but we could read some picture books and then a chapter or two of whatever book I'm currently reading aloud.

We could have afternoon tea (I know some lovely ladies on a homeschooling message board I frequent who do this and the idea is so sweet). My daughter especially would love this.

We could spend more time with music, or doing art projects or trying a science experiment in the kitchen. My kids eat that stuff up. Why don't I do more of it?

I could do a better job keeping up on at least some of the housework that always seems to be so overwhelming.

I could also get the kids more involved with chores around the house - something I have been terribly inconsistent at doing.

I need to exercise some self control and get up the motivation to get off my toushie and get back in my life. If I want my kids spending less time in front of a screen, I need to remember to set a better example myself.

God grant me the grace to do better!

No comments: