Wednesday, June 1, 2011

10 Good Things From An Otherwise Miserable Day

Turns out I wasn't just sore yesterday. I'm sick, and some of the soreness was body aches due to a strep throat infection. Ouch. I haven't had strep since I was a kid and I'm certainly hoping I don't get a repeat anytime soon. Obviously my throat hurts like nobody's business. But the body aches are almost worse. I still feel like I got hit by a truck. A big one.

But, with my propensity for optimism, I'm chosing to focus on the bright side. With that in mind, here are 10 good things from an otherwise miserable day:

1. Modern medicine. I am enormously grateful for antibiotics. Those nasty little strep bacteria stand no chance!

2. My kids were angels at the doctor's office. I had to haul my entire zoo with me - which, granted is only three extra little people, but being 6, 4 and not-quite-2, it could have been a recipe for disaster. Thankfully, they were extremely well behaved, which brings me to...

3. My smarthpone. I freely admit that at least 2/3 of the reason my kids were so good was because my boys were both engrossed in playing Angry Birds on my phone while we were all in the exam room.

4. And my daughter (the not-quite-2-year old) was very good as well, even without the benefit of the magical handheld box of light and sound. She spent most of the visit standing around, sucking her two fingers, and looking a bit concerned at her mommy being examined.

5. I have the greatest husband in the world. This probably should be #1. After I put my daughter down for a nap, I set my boys up with a cartoon and put myself down for a nap. Sometime after that, my husband came home from work to help me out. I had a completely uninterrupted 2 1/2 hour nap.

6. And then he took all three kids grocery shopping and is also picking up dinner. Have I mentioned how awesome he is?

7. My dad is also awesome, and on seeing my Facebook post about being sick, called to make sure I was ok and didn't need anything. He lives an hour away, so it's not like he can just swing by with soup. But you know what, I bet he would have if I'd needed him.

8. Vanilla ice cream. I tend to crave vanilla ice cream when I'm sick and it feels soooo good on a sore throat.

9. A hot shower. Another shout out to modern living. Despite my fever being fairly low, I've had chills on and off, and my hot shower felt great.

10. The reminder that in my weakness, God is with me. Now, this should be #1....

No comments: