Friday, August 19, 2011

Friday Quick Takes

Friday Quick Takes with Jennifer at Conversion Dairy and all the rest.... :)

1. Mom mom had brain surgery back in April. She had a benign, but very large tumor, that needed to be taken out. Thankfully, it was operable, surgery went well and she's been recovering nicely. Unfortunately, she had a major seizure two nights ago. I'm so very grateful that my stepdad was home with her at the time (he travels for work a lot, so it was unusual for him to be home). She's ok now, but it was very scary for both of them. She's now on anti-seizure medication indefinitely, and she can't drive for 6 months. I have no idea how that's going to work, given my stepdad's travel schedule, but we'll see how it plays out. I don't live close enough to be of much help either. In any case, prayers for my mom would be much appreciated!

2. On a lighter note, my family and I are leaving for a week-long vacation on Sunday. Hooray! It should be a wonderful end to our summer fun and I am really looking forward to the time away.

3. After our vacation, school will be upon us! I'm still having so many conflicting thoughts about my kids' schooling, so it's something I'm still pondering and praying about.

4. My oldest will be in all-day school for the first time, and this means packing lunches! I'm planning to do bento-style lunches and bought some fun containers to make it easier. He's a picky eater, and we aren't eating grains and processed foods anymore, so packing lunches will be interesting. But I have some fun ideas, so it should be kind of fun.

5. Packing lunches, however, means my days of sleeping late are drawing quickly to an end. Lately I've been getting away with rolling out of bed between 7:30 and 8:00. I am not much of a morning person, so this has been lovely - especially after years of my kids waking up at 6:00am. We're all going to have some serious schedule adjusting to do!

6. This also means I need to reign in my late-night writing sessions. That's going to be the hard part. I am mommy all day, work part time after bedtime, and who doesn't want a little freetime in the evenings. This has meant me staying up rather late all summer, which in some ways has been great because I feel like I have more time, and I know the kids aren't going to have me up at the crack of dawn. It's going to take some serious willpower to get myself to bed at a decent hour.

7. I hope some cooler weather is on the way for those who have been sweltering all summer. We've had the coolest summer on record here, and although we've had a little stretch without rain recently, probably also the wettest. It's hard to believe fall is right around the corner when it feels as if we barely had a summer. But I can't complain - I'll take gray skies over 100 degree heat any day.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

I am a night-owl as well. My kids start back to school on the 29th (one in 2nd and one in Kindergarten full-day). We have to seriously work on the (parent) bedtimes next week so that getting to the bus by 8am is reasonable. We find to make that work we need to be up a full hour before and we need no less than a full 30 minutes. Thirty minutes to get one child up, dressed, brushed, fed and out the door was a real feat. I think it will be closer to 45 for two kids. So, I'm shooting for getting them awake by 7. I pack our lunches the night before.