Friday, August 19, 2011

Thinking more about homeschooling

I'm probably going to say this a lot as I work through this line of thinking, but I never thought I'd be considering homeschooling.

I have a friend, with kids of similar ages to mine, who decided to homeschool when I was looking into preschools. I remember thinking at the time, "More power to you, but I have no desire to go there." I've never been all that judgmental about homeschoolers - my aunt homeschooled my cousins (who are all quite a bit younger than I am) and I always thought it was kind of neat. But I never thought it would be something I'd want to do. For a long time I've thought homeschooling has to be a calling.

Lately, I can't help but think maybe I'm getting that call.

I'm not coming at this from a negative place. My oldest son had a great kindergarten year, overall. His only complaint about school was that he wondered why he had to learn stuff he already knew all the time. And therein probably lies the first kernel of my homeschooling thoughts. It isn't that I believe I have genius child who far exceeds what a traditional school can offer. But he is a smart cookie and, like every other parent out there, I want what is best for him - for all my kids.

This is a life turn that I wasn't expecting, and I'm still not sure if I'm going to go down this road - and if I do, I'm not sure when. Or for how long. But I feel like I have to keep exploring this option because something about it keeps popping into my head. And the more I read and the more research I do, the more intrigued I become.

And then sometimes, I'm busy doing something-or-other, thinking about the numerous other things I have to accomplish, and I think wait, this is crazy.

But is it?

No comments: