Friday, December 21, 2012

One more day

My dad sent me a picture yesterday. In it, my ailing aunt is sitting up, smiling, surrounded by her husband and four children. A couple of days ago, it appeared her body was shutting down as the tumors in her brain pressed on precious nerves, inhibiting her body's ability to function. Yesterday, they removed the respirator, she woke up, ate breakfast, smiled and waved at her family, and took a nap. They are making preparations for her to return home - with in home medical care, but still home.

I'm rather stunned at this turn of events, but so, so grateful that she has a little more time with her family. Wouldn't it be wonderful if she could still spend Christmas with them, in their home? I pray for that blessing. I know it would mean so much to her family.

I don't know what this means; if she'll have one more day, or two, or five, or thirty. There's only so much of her left that can come through the haze of disease in her brain. She can't talk very much, if at all. I'm not sure how mobile she is. But she knows who people are, and she smiled at everyone who visited her. She waved at my dad and tried to say, "Hi." Blessedly, she isn't in pain and although it is difficult to know how much she truly understands, as her short term memory is very weak now, she's calm and doesn't seem to be in any discomfort.

Each day is a blessing.

No comments: