Friday, July 22, 2011

Buried in the busy

If I had to sum up life right now, I could use one word: busy.

I don't say that in complaint; it is simply the state of things these days. And it's more than the fact that I have a lot to do. That's always true. I feel as if I'm drowning in all the things I don't get done. Like I need to find a way to rearrange my priorities (....spend less time on the computer?) so I free up more of my time to accomplish the necessary tasks of life.

Between caring for three small children, a husband who is not a neat and tidy person, the regular running of a household, a whole lot of cooking (we've changed a lot about how we eat for the better, but it requires more work), and working part time as a writer in the evenings, I'm swamped! Directing VBS added a lot, and although that part is done, I'm still reeling from the things I didn't accomplish while I was busy with it.

What I need to do is find a better balance. I tend to get frustrated and procrastinate on things when I get overwhelmed, which is exactly the opposite of what I should be doing. I'm not usually an avoider, but when I feel this way, that's what I tend to do.

And I feel like spiritually, I've been avoiding as well. I haven't been praying as much, I haven't been reading as much and basically I've let myself get buried in all the day to day tasks I have on my plate, to the detriment of my relationship with God.

That part is such an easy thing to do. To find yourself caught up in the busyness of life and you wake up one morning and wonder... when was the last time I prayed? When did I thank God for everything, and ask forgiveness for my sins? Was it yesterday? Did I do more than say grace and pray with my kids before bed? (thank goodness I've at least been doing that).

Day to day life requires a balance. Most of us are not called to live in solitude, prayerfully meditating on the great mysteries of the divine. We have to live in the world, but somehow keep our focus beyond the world. That's a daily struggle for me, and one I am mindful of working on.

No comments: