Saturday, July 16, 2011

My favorite part of VBS

Yesterday we wrapped up our week of VBS! I really jumped in head first, asked to be co-director when someone else had to back out. I had no idea what I was doing and no experience, other than dropping my oldest off last year. It all came together so well and I'm really glad I was able to be a part of it. I'm already thinking ahead to next year.

My favorite part of the week was getting to know so many of my fellow parishoners. There are a lot of people that I knew only by face from seeing them at mass who I now count as good friends. I love it! Even the woman who used to ignore me (my "not friend") is now friendly with me. I'm a people person and getting to know more of the families in our parish is such a blessing. The more I get involved in church activities, the more people I meet, and the more I feel at home.

At the end of VBS, we had a BBQ out in the lawn. Families milled about eating hot dogs and fruit, the kids ran around like little banchees, playing various versions of tag with some of the teen leaders. I loved watching my boys run around to their hearts content, and seeing my daughter hang out with some of the teenage girls who are amongst my new babysitting contacts. It felt like a huge extension of our family.

All in all, VBS was a great experience and I'm glad I was asked to be involved. I'm also glad it's over and time for a break. I'm hopelessly behind on work (I work part time from home as a writer), my house is a disaster and I think we're all ready for our normal routine. But it was a great week and I'm pretty excited to have made a lot of new friends.

No comments: